Friday, November 19, 2010

"I'm sorry love, I really can't be bothered right now but thank you anyways"

In the name of money, and adventure funding, I have started working at a marketing research agency. While I have a degree that would almost allow me to design the studies, I am but a cold calling survey giving annoyance. I call people from all over Australia, interrupt their dinners or children's bath times, and ask them if they would like to talk about their newspaper readership, their opinions of local roads, use of LPG gas, and most fun of all their incomes before tax.... But really I can't imagine doing this anywhere else. I have really only been yelled at once and am most often greeted with a "sorry darling" or "not right now sweetheart" (which is the best when I know im calling farmers in the outback). And a surprising number of people actually do want to talk to me, especially when I inform them it is in the name of research. Most often they want to play the guessing game of where I'm from. The winning guesses have been Canadian and Irish (?). I have come across some pretty interesting, silly and just plain illogical people....

For example:

This gentlemen displayed an extreme passion for roads
"I will stand at parliament if they decide to privatize the roads system!"
"Very well, and lastly can I just ask you how old you are?"
"I'll be 80 on Sunday"

or

"Why aren't people reasonable! It's not the roads but that there are so many cars on the road and people driving alone. We need to get back to the metro projects"
10 min later
"And how often are you a passenger on a bus?"
"Oh never! I never use public transports!"

and sometimes angry

"I'm busy at the moment but what's your number and I'll ring you back?"
"No worries just let me know what time is most convienent and I'll give you a call then"
"THAT'S RIGHT YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE CALLING YOU AT ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT AND ANNOYING YOU EITHER"

Sometimes you just gotta hang up and move on.

3 comments:

Zoe said...

hahahahaha i love the responses! are you keeping a book next to your phone so you can record the best ones??!! Happy almost turkey day!!

Abby said...

haha yes i actually have been keep a piece of paper by my phone just in case someone says something crazy haha hope you have a lovely t day lady!

Unknown said...

Haha I would totally talk to you and rant about roads too