Saturday, November 3, 2012

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original"

I love that my school and the montessori philosophy (at least in my mind) caters to the creativity that is inherent in all children. They are given the freedom to make their own choices and consequently their own mistakes without judgement or interference (unless they are about to make the mistake of licking scissors or eating soap, then I may have to step in a little). When asked "Miss Abby can I do it this way?" it's so excellent to be able to say "yes friend! PLEASE do whatever you think is best and we will see what happens or what you are able to create". And what they come up with and the connections they make and the independence and confidence that they gain more often then not leaves me speechless.

No comments: