Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Annyeong haseyo!

I made it! I am safe and sound in Korea. It still doesn't seem real at all but the Korean signs and constant honking outside the window tell me that I am no longer in the pacific northwest.

The ride over wasn't bad at all. I think I watched 5 or 6 movies and an episode of House. Slept a little but was really too jacked up to really relaxed. Once I arrived at ICN customs and baggage claim were a breeze and I easily found that tall white kid waiting for me outside. By this point I was pretty dazed but David somehow managed to push me in the right direction to exchange all my money and get on the bus to Anyang. The bus took us off the island that the airport is on and through Seoul so it was a nice little introduction to the area. When we got to the bus stop in Beomgye (pronounced bumgay) my boss and her husband met us and took us to the apartment. Won jon Nim (the manager at Haba) talked to me about swine flu and said that since the kids are little I won't start teaching till next Monday, pretty much to make sure that I am not sick. In my semi quarantined state though I've been able to relax, grocery shop and explore the place that will be my home for the next 9ish months. I sorta like being quarantined.

So far:
-I LOVE my apartment and can't wait to share pictures as soon as I can
-I have only really made 2 cultural mistakes...one being that when I first got to my place I just walked right on in with my shoes on. Apparently Won jon Nim's husband was quite shocked. Second, last night when David and I went out for BBQ chicken and beer I started to refill my own glass once I had finished. Korean drinking culture states that one must never refill their own glass. It is the duty of their drinking partners.
-Gone for a morning run around the amazing park across the street from my apartment. Got to watch all the old korean men and women working on their fitness before it got too hot. Central Park also has really really cool fountains that at night are lit up with all sorts of colorfull lights.
-Watched David play a crazy sport that mixes volleyball and soccer
-Found the Korean equivalent of Target
-Tried to make enchiladas...Mexic-asian food didn't work out so well

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Korean Target!?! So glad you made it there safe and David is there too. Sounds like another world and super exciting.

Can't wait until you get some pictures up. Is your apartment big? It's all furnished right?

We miss you bunches and it still doesn't even seem like you're gone, just that you're in Edmonds with your family.

WEIRDDDDD.

Muah!

I like that your partner has to refill your drink, that should be a given here too.

Zoe said...

oh so excited you made it there safe and sound!!
korean target??!! i hope they have lots of wonderful target-y trinkets for you to play with!!
miss you lotsa!!

can't wait for pics of your place!!